The present 1909 structure is a 44-foot white, square wooden tower with a circular red lantern has a focal plane 136 feet above the St. Lawrence. It is an active aid to navigation. The Third Order Fresnel lens, built by Barbier, Bénard and Turenne is still in use, displaying a white flash every 6 seconds, with a range of 15 miles.
The original lighthouse (1871) was situated on the cape itself, a few miles west of the present site. It was a white, square tower, 37 feet tall, with a dwelling attached
"In the interests of navigation," it was rebuilt in 1875 at a more prominent location on the cape, about 480 yards from the original location. This was also a square, white tower, but only 26-feet tall.
In 1891, the fog signal at Pointe Sainte-Anne, about 9 miles east, was moved to the Cap Chat station. Finally, in 1909, the present lighthouse was rebuilt closer to the village of Cap Chat.
The lighthouse is located on the grounds of the Centre Vents et Mer, which also includes an information center on wind generation and modern windmills (“eolians”), gardens, nature paths, a tea house and a museum. The grounds around the light are open June 9 to September 15, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
From Highway 132 about 3 miles west of the town of Cap-Chat, look for a sign marked “Vents et Mer” (white lettering on black background), across the road from a number of “eolians." Parking available.
Click on image to
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||St. Lawrence Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com