Nine Mile Point Light
Nine Mile Point Light is located on Simcoe Island near the head of the St. Lawrence River. It is which is reached by taking the car ferry from Kingston, Ontario to Wolfe Island, then a small cable ferry to Simcoe Island. The light is on the southwest point of the island.
The light was established in 1833, and served as a marker for down bound vessels entering the river and heading for the harbor at Kingston.
The light originally had eleven lamps and reflectors. These were replaced in the 1860's six lamps with parabolic reflectors that shown a red light
A steam fog signal replaced an earlier fog bell in 1893.
The light was automated in 1990, and the fog signal was discontinued in 1991. Finally the light discontinued in 1994.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Ontario Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com