Prince Shoal Light
One of the most dangerous shoals in the St. Lawrence River is found near Tadoussac, Quebec, off mouth of Saguenay River.
The cylindrical tower with red and white horizontal stripes, on top of circular dwelling on caisson, resembles a child's top. Built in 1964, the light replaces the Prince Shoal Lightship station, that had been established in 1902. The lighthouse warns passing vessels of the undersea hazard in the area. The tapered base helps it resist the 20-foot tides in the area.
The tower is 83-feet high and produces a focal plane of 81 feet. The light produces a white flash every 2.5 seconds, with a range 18 nautical miles.
The light received a C$1,4000,000 rebuild in 2002. The project included repairs to most of the architectural and structural components of the upper portion of the pillar. As well, the concrete slab used as a landing area for helicopters transporting departmental personnel on navigational aids maintenance missions was rebuilt. Consolidation and repair of the outside walls of the cylindrical part of the pillar were also scheduled, along with the repair of the guard rail and installation of anchorings.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||St. Lawrence Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com