Rock Island Light
The present 40 foot metal tower was built on Rock Island in the St. Lawrence River in 1882. It replaced an earlier tower that had been built in the middle of the island in 1847.
The present tower is located at the end of a ten foot pier extending into the river. The light was deactivated in 1958 and the Sixth Order lens has been removed.
Other buildings on the island include a smokehouse, carpenter's shop and a boathouse.
The property is owned by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Facilities include a picnic area, but no restroom facilities.
The light tower may be viewed from the southern shore a few miles west of the Thousand Islands Bridge or by tour boat out of Clayton, NY. Group tours can be arranged through Thousand Islands State Park and Recreation Region, Keewaydin State Park, PO Box 207, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607. 315-482-2593.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||St. Lawrence Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com