A historic Canadian structure, the tower was built in 1827 as a working windmill. In November of 1838, British troops and local militia defeated an invasion force of 300 American "Hunters" and Canadian rebels. The Battle of the Windmill prevented the invasion force from capturing Fort Wellington, Ontario and controlling the St. Lawrence River, which was the route to Upper Canada. The site is a National Historic Site of Canada.
The 60 foot tall tower is ruggedly built with rubble stone walls. The tower was bought by the Canadian Department of Marine in 1873 and converted to a lighthouse. The lantern room appears to be too small for the structure, but at one time, a Fifth Order lens provided the light.
The Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site is located on Windmill Point Road, of Highway #2, 1.8 miles east of the town of Prescott and 48 miles south of Ottawa, Ontario. Take Exit #716 from Highway #401. Once in Prescott, travel south on Edward Street, turn left on Highway #2. Continue for 1.8 miles and turn right on Windmill Point Road. Follow the road less than a mile to the windmill.
The windmill structure is open to the public 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM, weekends only in June and September, and the same hours July and August 7 days per week. Visitors may climb the stairs for great views up and down the St. Lawrence River.
For additional history go to the Battle of Windmill Historic Site website.
If you would like to share the history of a light please e-mail email@example.com.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||St. Lawrence River Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com