Bay Point Lighthouse
The light at Big Bay Point on Lake Superior went into service in 1896. It sits on a bluff nearly 100 feet above the lake.
The keepers residence is a 22 x 52 rectangular two-story brick building with an attached square light tower on the lake side. The residence has been converted to a bed & breakfast and has 18 rooms.
The light tower has elaborate medieval-like brick work near the top, and supports octagonal iron watch room and lantern. The light was automated in 1941. The station was sold in 1961 after a new light was erected on a steel tower on the grounds.
A brick fog signal building has survived at the station. The original Fresnel lens is on display in the fog signal building. Also surviving on the grounds are an iron oil storage building and a brick privy.
To get to the Big Bay Point Lighthouse, take County Road 550 (Sugar Loaf Ave.) out of Marquette to the town of Big Bay. Then follow Dam Road around Independence Lake to Lighthouse Road, then Lighthouse Road to the end.
The town of Big Bay was once a Henry Ford lumber mill town and has an interesting museum.
The lighthouse is a full service B & B with seven guest rooms, five with private baths. For information about staying at the lighthouse visit www.bigbaylighthouse.com, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 906-349-9957.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com