Harbor Light and Museum
Located on the east point of the harbor entrance to Copper Harbor, Michigan from Lake Superior, the light is now part of Fort Wilkins State Park at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula.
The first lighthouse was built here in 1848-49, due to the traffic generated by early copper discoveries. The original 100-foot stone tower was located much closer to the water's edge that the present light. The light received a Fresnel lens in 1856. The 1849 original detached keeper's residence survives.
By 1866, water had damaged the foundation of the light tower and worked was started on a the present yellow brick dwelling with attached tower. The square tower supports an octagonal lantern room and walkway, but the light has been removed to the steel tower that went into service in 1927.
The site is now operated as a maritime museum by Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Many maritime artifacts are displayed in the dwelling, including the Fresnel lens. There is also a collection of artifacts displayed along the path from the dock to the dwelling.
A bell buoy, located off the point, replaced the lighthouse.
No public road access road goes to the station. The light is reached by a pleasant 15-minute boat trip from Municipal Pier in Copper Harbor.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com