Grand Island Old North Light
Grand Island protects the harbor at Munising, Michigan. Originally a harbor of refuge, the harbor is rarely used by modern commercial vessels.
An original light was erected here in 1855 and replaced by the present structure in 1867. The 1-1/2 story structure is similar to a number of Great Lakes lighthouses. The square brick tower is set in the front of the dwelling and is integral to the dwelling.
The light and adjoining property is private and access is strictly limited.
The light was deactivated in 1961 and a modern structure was erected nearby.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com