Huron Islands Light
The Huron Island are located in Lake Superior between Keweenaw Bay and Marquette, Michigan. At one time they were a navigational hazard to vessels following the coastline to and from the Portage River during the copper boom on the Keweenaw Peninsula.
The light was constructed on the highest point of the granite outcropping and was first lighted in 1868. The station is another "schoolhouse" design with a square tower attached to the front of a two-story dwelling. The structures are built of granite blocks. The tower is only 39 feet tall, but its location provides a focal plane 197 feet above Lake Superior.
The original kerosene lamp was replaced in 1961 with a 45,000 candlepower electric light. The station fully automated on 1972.
The island is only visible by private boat or a cruise on the Keweenaw Star running out of Houghton, Michigan.
If you have the opportunity to visit the island, look for the eagle's nests.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com