River (Jacobsville) Light
The first light was built here in 1855 to mark the water route to the twin cities of Hancock/Houghton which was the heart of Copper Country. The station marks the Lower Entrance from Keweenaw Bay and Lake Superior into the Portage River at Jacobsville, Michigan.
The present structure was built in 1870, at a cost of $12,000. The single story, red brick keepers dwelling has an attached round brick tower that has been covered with stucco. The dwelling is 40 x 25, and the tower is 65 feet high.
A brick oil house and wood frame barn also survive.
This light was decommissioned around the time the Keweenaw Lower Entry light was established in 1920.
The station was sold in 2004 and was converted to a Bed & Breakfast in 2005. The B&B will have three bedrooms that share a bath. For more information www.jacobsvillelighthouse.com, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 906-523-4137.
Follow directions to the Portage Lake Lower Entrance Light, then go about ½ mile east along the shore road.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com