The Eagle Harbor light is located on the Lake Superior shore near the entrance to Eagle Harbor.
Built in 1871, the integral tower and keepers quarters are made of brick. The white octagon tower rises 44-feet above the shore with a focal plane of 60-feet. The original fog signal building built in 1895 remains at the site. The fog horn was and is on display at a museum In Sault Ste Marie, MI.
Other structures at the site have included a brick oil house, 4 cement block car garages, 2 wooden assistant keepers dwellings, that were relocated from the lifesaving station across the harbor, and a radio beacon.
A modern airport style beacon replaced the original Fourth Order Fresnel lens in 1968. The light was automated in 1980.
The 1.5 story keepers quarters are now open to the public as a museum operated by the Keweenaw County Historical Society. There are other exhibits located on the lighthouse grounds as well.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com