Eagle River Light
By Dave Wobser

Located on the south bank of Eagle River to mark the river entrance from Lake Superior on Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula. The town of Eagle River was the shipping point for copper from the Cliff Mine, the first successful copper mine in the area, and also became the point of entry for men and supplies into the Copper Country. It was one of the earliest communities on the Keweenaw Peninsula.

The 1-1/2 story white house with attached tower was rebuilt in 1874 at a cost of $19,000 to replace a light built in 1854. The 1845 light had cost $4,000.

The light remained in service until 1908 and is now a private residence. The room facing Lake Superior is a recent addition.

Click on image to enlarge

Photograph by Dave Wobser - August, 1993.

Location: Eagle River, Michigan
Station Established: 1854
Existing Date Built: 1874
Active: No

Open to public:

No
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Superior Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com