Keweenaw Waterway Upper Entrance Light
By Dave Wobser

This light, built in 1874, marks the upper entrance to the Portage Ship Canal, now known as the Keweenaw Waterway, a short cut across the Keweenaw Peninsula.

A square, art-deco, steel structure is 50 feet tall and mounted atop a red concrete crib and base. The lens is 82 feet above Lake Superior.

Located on the west end of the north breakwater, near F. J. McLain State Park, west of Calumet, Michigan.

Click on image to enlarge

Photograph by Dave Wobser - August, 1993.

Location: Hancock, Michigan
Station Established: 1874
Existing Date Built: 1950
Active: Yes

Open to public:

No
Directions:
Can be viewed from F. J. McLain State Park.
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Superior Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com