East Channel Range Lights
The range light to guide ships into the eastern passage, around Grand Island, from Lake Superior to Munising, Michigan were erected in 1908 at a cost of $15,000 by the Champion Iron Company of Cleveland, Ohio.
The front light, located next to the two-story brick and frame keeper's dwelling, is 58-feet tall and constructed of 5/8-inch riveted steel plates. It is 12-feet in diameter at the base and 8-feet at the top. An octagonal iron lantern room holds the light 79 feet above water level. The former keepers dwelling is now the headquarters for US Coast Guard Station Munising.
The rear light is 33' tall and is located several blocks away on a hill 107' above the lake. It is of similar construction to the front light, but has only one window for the beacon.
Both lights are equipped with red locomotive style headlamps.
The front light is located on the USCG base on M-28 near downtown Munising. The rear light is two blocks southwest at the end of Hemlock Street. Both lights are accessible for pictures.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Superior Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com