Munising West Channel Range Lights
By Dave Wobser

At one time, this set of range lights provided the same guidance for vessels approaching Munising from the west side of Grand Island, as the Munising East Channel Range Lights gave to vessels approaching from the east.

The tall rear light is similar to the front light of the Munising East Channel Lights. The metal replaced an earlier wooden tower and attached dwelling which was built in1868. The present tower has a door at the second-floor level that would give the impression that it was once attached to a dwelling. Possibly the original wooden dwelling. The light was deactivated in 1969, and transferred to the US Forest service in 1977.

The front light is a small steel cylinder located near the shore of Lake Superior, and is an active light. Both lights can be used as day markers.

The lights are located on opposite sides of M-28, between Munising and the town of Christmas, not far from the Bay Furnace Campground. Park along M-28 and walk to both lights.

While in the area, history buffs will want to spend a few minutes at Bay Furnace and learn about the early history of iron making in the Munising area.

Click on image to enlarge

Photograph by Dave Wobser

Location: Munising, Michigan
Date Built: 1868
Active: Yes

Open to
public:

Yes, grounds.
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Superior Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com