Sand Hills Light
A coastal light on Lake Superior located at Five Mile Point, 4 miles west of the Village of Eagle River, Michigan on the Keeweenaw Peninsula. This light replaced the Eagle River light which was not strong enough to warn of the shoals located off Eagle River. The Eagle River Light had been discontinued in 1908, and the freighter WILLIAM C. MORELAND stranded on the shoals in 1910.
Built 1917-19 at a cost of $100,000, the 3-story yellow brick duplex residence has a square 91-foot tower dividing the two residences. The station included a powerful fog signal in a separate building.
The station originally had a Fourth Order bulls-eye lens lighted by an oil vapor lamp, and was visible for eleven miles. William Richard Bennetts was the keeper during the entire period the light was manned from 1919 to 1939. The light used an automatic acetylene gas lamp from 1939 until it was taken out of service in 1954, due to a lack of lake traffic in the area. The fog signal building still stands.
The station was converted to a full service bed and breakfast that opened in 1996, and features 8 guest rooms, each with a private bath. For additional information www.sandhillslighthouseinn.com, or call 906-337-1744.
Click on image to enlarge
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com