Two Harbors Light Located on point a between Agate & Burlington Bays in Two Harbors, Minnesota. Built in 1892, to guide ships to this major shipping port for iron ore from the Mesabi Range. Iron ore was first shipped from this harbor in 1884.
The 2-story brick keeper's residence is 35 feet square with an attached matching brick tower. The tower is 12-feet 9-inches square and stands 49-feet tall supporting an octagonal lantern. The original Fourth Order lens was replaced in 1970 by a rotating electric beacon which is 78 feet above Lake Superior. The light was automated in 1981, and the dwelling was used by USCG personnel until 1987.
In addition to the keeper's dwelling, the assistant keeper's residence, original fog signal building, and brick oil house are all standing. The site is owned by the Lake County Historical Society. They have restored the fog signal building and the assistant keepers dwelling, which they operate as a museum and gift shop.
The lighthouse and museum are open 9:00 - 7:00 daily from May 13 through October 29.
The pilot house of the former laker FRONTENAC is located on the grounds. An older pilot house from the same vessel is part of the Fairport, Ohio lighthouse museum.
The light station has a great view of the Two Harbors ore docks. Located nearby is the museum steam tug EDNA G., the former Duluth, Mesabi and Iron Range Railroad station and two steam locomotives.
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com