Another of the six Imperial Towers built by John Brown around the Bruce Peninsula. The light is a coastal light and warns mariners away from the rocky coastline and the island.
Built in 1859, the limestone tower is 86-feet high and still is an active aid to navigation. The keepers dwelling is only shell of standing walls, having been destroyed by fire a number of years ago.
The tower is painted white with a bright red roof, lantern and trim. The lantern houses a Second Order Fresnel Lens.
Chantry Island was designated a Federal Migratory Bird Sanctuary in 1957 to protect the many birds nesting there.
In 1998 local group met to form an organization to restore the Keepers Quarters. Through donations and other support, the Supporters of Chantry Island are well on their way to returning the station to its former glory.
The tower can be viewed by exiting Highway-21 onto Claredon Road in South Hampton. Go to the end of Claredon where it turns into Huron Road, then turn right onto Beach Road. The light is visible about a mile off shore on the mainland side of the island.
Tours are limited to 9 person in the boat and cost $25.00 each. Reservations are a must.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com