The Harbor Beach Lighthouse was built in 1885
and stands 54 feet above the water. It was placed on the Northern side of the Harbor
entrance. The super structure is of iron and concrete construction. It has a rotating white
light with 20,000 candlepower with a visibility of 21 miles.
2006 by Terry Pepper
The Harbor Beach Lighthouse Preservation
Society (HBLPS) has been formed and restoration efforts are underway. The
light has been water-proofed, well ventilated and the interior walls, floors
and windows restored to their original appearance. The Society is now
seeking donations of period-correct furniture with which to refurnish the
decks that made up the station living quarters. The society has applied for
ownership through the NHLPA.
In 2012, the GSA, USCG and State of Michigan transferred the lighthouse and
the rights to continue occupying the bottomland to the City of Harbor Beach.
Lighthouse tours began in 2011 under the auspices of the Harbor Beach
Lighthouse Preservation Society. More information is available at the
Click on images to
Photograph by John Meyland
by Dave Wobser
View from the water
View from the breakwater
Cast iron window frames
Picture showing the former fog signal building.
Plans are to re-establish the building.
First floor galley and lounge
Second floor Head Keepers quarters
An original USLHS traveling library
Ceiling showing construction
Center post is the main support
and also the chimney for each level.
||Harbor Beach, MI.
North breakwater entrance
Light was Built:
here for map